November, 2012 – January 9, 2013 – May 15, 2013
Will of James Fuller
We now have the Will of James Fuller, written 21 May 1618 and proved in 1622, in Lavenham, Suffolk. This Will confirms some issues and creates some questions. We have not yet linked James Fuller to John of Newton.
- He leaves money to his son ‘John’.
- He leaves money to his daughter ‘Marie Smythe’ married to Robert Smythe.
- He leaves his house on Barbors Street (was renamed to Lady Street), Lavenham, Suffolk to his a grandson ‘John Mascall’, (after he becomes 23 years old).
- He leaves his title estate (land and houses) and interest in Shropham, Norfolk to his grandchild ‘John Fuller’ of Colchester [Essex].
- The Will then stipulates that his grandchild John Fuller, (named in #4) must pay out of his inheritance 20 pounds to his brother ‘John’ and 10 pounds to his sister Suzan, within one month of his (James) decease.
- The Will then states “….I give and bequeath unto the said John Fuller my grandchild, (named in #4) whom I do ordain and make sole Executor to this my last Will and testament hoping and not doubting that he will perform the contents of the Will”
- “I ordain and make Samewell Colman, my friend, Supervisor of this my last Will and Testament.”
- The Will confirms that James has a son ‘John’.
- We find out that grandson John Fuller (#4) lives in Colchester (Essex).
- Grandson John Fuller has a brother named John (not that uncommon at the time).
- In #6 he names said John Fuller (#4) my grandchild, the Executor.
- We find out that James has an estate in Shropham, Norfolk.
- We continue the search.
November 24, 2012
John who was the son of John who was the son of James Fuller
We are following up on some old family research that indicates that our John Fuller (b. 1611) was the son of John Fuller born Lavenham, Suffolk, who was the son of James Fuller.
We contacted the Suffolk County office in Bury St. Edmunds who found a John Fuller baptized 4 Jan., 1562 in Lavenham who was the son of James Fuller.
The Lavenham Parish Records also revel that John Fuller [b. 1562] married Anne Gates, 15 Sept. 1594 and their son Edward was born 19 Oct. 1595. Anne Gates was born 5 April 1573 in Lavenhan, the daughter of Edward Gates.
These Lavenham Parish Records also show:
1. There are no burial record for John [b.1562] nor for his wife Anne [b. 1573] an indication that they may have moved from the Parish.
2. No other children were found for John Fuller and Anne Gates, which also indicates that they may have moved from Lavenham after Edward was born.
3. No Marriage record was found for John Fuller (b. 1611) and Elizabeth Cole from Lavenham. We know these two had children from 1645 in Cambridge, MA. We are continuing to search in this area.