John Fuller of Newton
Documents Involving the Fuller Family
1593, May 8 – Freedom Admission to the Barber Surgeon’s Company (Guild)
Walter Cole was admitted to the Barber Surgeon’s Company on 8 May 1593. We cannot show the actual admitting document, but have a transcription.
1609, January 29 – Marriage License issued by the Church of England (January 29, 1609/10)
License for the Marriage of Walter Cole of Bramford, Middlesex County, England and Susanna Northfield of Great Saxham, near Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk, England, UK.
1609, January 30 – Marriage Record, Great Saxham Parish Records (January 30, 1609/10)
This Marriage entry in the Parish Books for Great Saxham, Suffolk, England shows that Susan Northfield married on this date.
1622, January 1 – Baptism Record for Elizabeth Cole (January 1, 1622/23)
1622 – January – The first day – Elizabeth the daughter of Walter Cole
1652, September 3 – Burial Record for Walter Cole
1652 – September – The 3 day – Walter Cole
1655, 57, 58, and 1676 – Land Deeds – John Fuller purchased or sold Land
1675, Oct 3, Petition – John Fuller of Newton to the Governor to release his sons from war.
1675 – 1676 – King Philip’s War erupted in New England between colonists and Native Americans as a result of tensions over colonist’s expansionist activities. The bloody war raged up and down the Connecticut River valley in Massachusetts and in the Plymouth and Rhode Island colonies, eventually resulting in 600 English colonials being killed and 3,000 Native Americans, including women and children on both sides. King Philip (the colonist’s nickname for Metacom, chief of the Wampanoags) was hunted down and killed in 1676, in a swamp in Rhode Island, ending the war in southern New England and ending the independent power of Native Americans there. In New Hampshire and Maine, the Saco Indians continue to raid settlements for another year and a half.
1678, Petition – for the separation of Cambridge Village (later Newton) from Cambridge
1672(1)– Edward Jackson and John Jackson, in behalf of the inhabitants of Cambridge Village, petitioned the Court to be set off from Cambridge, and made an independent town by themselves. In answer to this petition, ” the Court, in 1673, doth judge meet to grant to the inhabitants of said Village, annually to elect one Constable and three Selectmen, dwelling among themselves, to order the prudential affairs of the inhabitants there, according to law, only continuing a part of Cambridge in paying County and Country rates, as also Town rates, so far as refers to the grammar school, bridge over Charles river, and their proportion of the charges of the Deputies.”
This action of the Court was not satisfactory to the Village, and they did not accept or act under it.
This was followed by the 1678 petition which resulted in the Court granting the prayer of the petition, and Cambridge Village (Newton) was set off from Cambridge, and made an independent township.
1678, Letter – from John Fuller of Newton to the Probate Court, Middlesex, Massachusetts
In a Letter dated Dec 14, 1678, John Fuller informed the Probate Court that the 22 acres of land in Simon Onge’s estate inventory was his land and that he only allowed Simon Onge the right to live on the land during his lifetime.
Land Deeds – 1655 Purchase of 9 acres in Watertown; 1657 Sale of the 9 Acres in Watertown; 1658 Purchase of 750 Acres in Cambridge (south of the river – is Newton today); 1676 Purchse of 22 Acres in Cambridge (Newton)
1695, Family Wills
(1) Francis Jackson, History of the Early Settlement of Newton, County of Middlesex, Massachusetts: From 1639 to 1800 – with a Genealogical of its Inhabitants prior to 1800, “of Boston, a Native of Newton”, Boston: Printed by Stacy and Richardson, 1854, page 49